INSPIRE: A NEW SEASON ON THE SKINT

I'm currently sitting at university, in the library. I should be starting my essay on Scott Schuman, but upon realising how long it has been since I last flipped through The Sartorialist, I've wound up getting very lost in the archives. The abundance of wintery outfits has me all psyched up for the cooler weather that is ever-so-slightly coming our way in Australia.

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned it on the blog, but I worked at Cold Rock up until a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the store I worked at closed down, so I'm now unemployed, and relying on 'pocket money' (at the age of nineteen...) and my dwindling savings account.

This has left me in a real pickle when it comes to my constant cravings for new things to wear and definitely forced me to evaluate what I've got in my closet and find new ways of wearing the things I already own.

I've also started to get back into sewing, and I've got a few DIY ideas up my sleeve. Essentially, I don't necessarily need anything, as I have plenty of clothes, but what I'm trying to do is decide what I really want for winter, so I don't end up overspending or buying things that won't be used.

So, lo-and-behold, my word and photo dribble on how I'm planning to get through the season with food on the table (lol jks my parents still provide that for me):

source

Schuman posted a photo of this amazing Julien David net top with the caption: "It could layer over almost anything ... and help take that item/look to another level ... for the home sewers this seems like an easy add." Many, many of the dresses I've tried to sew myself have looked very promising at the bodice-and-sleeves-completed stage, but wound up ill-fitting by the time they're finished. I'd really like to try using the top part of a shift dress pattern, perhaps slightly oversized, to construct a similar top using some cheap netting. I can see this working really well over basic jumpers, t-shirts, Breton tops, singlets, dresses... anything really. This piece really simplifies layering, because it's see-through, you're not adding any bulk at all, but it's definitely interesting and eye-catching.

source

source

My mother will probably scream at me for this given my whinging and complaining about growing out my fringe, but I'm seriously considering getting bangs cut back in. My hair has finally gotten to the stage where I can reasonably call it 'long', and I've found products that have helped with my truly irritating frizziness problem, so I feel like my hair is 'ready', if you will, to have an actual style, rather than just being something I stick back in a ponytail every day.

source
This isn't really very specific, but this image really speaks to me about how I'd like to dress in winter this year. Last year I was all about a Blair-Waldorf-esque kind of vibe; quite fitted, high and tight waists, lots of blouses and skirts and a vast array of patterns. I've already spoken about wanting to simplify my look this year, but I'm still figuring out how to do that without feeling boring. Seriously, going from three prints in one outfit to none is harder than it sounds. I love the above looking because despite the simplicity of the pieces, it's infinitely chic. I've got a whole bunch of similar images saved, so I'd really like to buy myself a couple of select pieces, say a pair of pants and a couple of jumpers, in really basic, but high quality, fabrics and neutral colours.


source
This one is more about the girl's outfit on the bottom left than any of the others, but they're all superb inspiration, nevertheless. I've been having a pants moment lately but the only pants I own are tight skinny jeans and printed cotton trousers. What I'd really like are some long, drapey, silky, wide-legged pants. Something low-ish waisted and supremely comfortable. I can see these kind of pants working really well in the Brisbane winter, with a slim fitting sweater and over-sized coat for the chilly mornings, and a basic t-shirt, and maybe that netted top from above, for the warmer afternoons.

Anyway, there's my brain explosion for today - I hope you're having a good one!

x