even when the sun keeps shining down, it's dark.

The classics. The must-have's. The indispensables.

We read about them time and time again, don't we? Take a visit to your local newsagent, and I guarantee that you'll find an article on something classic, in at least one of the fashion magazines. I know they've been overdone, and you're probably bored to tears of reading about them, but I honestly feel as though I can't call this a 'fashion blog' until I've posted my take on the 'classics'.

For me, the classics of my wardrobe, the things I could not live without, are:
  • My black ballet flats. Seriously, these babies go everywhere with me. They're extraordinarily comfy, dressy without being too casual, and casual without being too dressy. They go with everything from shorts and blouse in summer, to a little black dress at night, to a pair of trousers, a coat and a scarf, in winter... essential. 
  • My Uniqlo cashmere cardigan in camel. If I'm heading out somewhere and I'm worried I'll get cold, this is the cardigan I grab and stuff in my bag, because it goes with everything. I'm crazy about cardigans and I own several, but this is the one that I can't live without. I bought it in London a few years ago, and it's starting to get a bit tatty, but I don't really care. It's the softest, cuddliest thing I own, and I can just see myself wearing it several years from now, holes and all.
  • Plain t-shirts and singlets. With the exception of vintage t-shirts and pyjama tops, I'm really not into printed tees or singlets, at all. I think this may be because I exhausted myself of printed tees as a ten year old when the addiction to slogan tees kicked in, but I'm well and truly over that now. Generally, I find they look gimmicky, and they aren't something you can wear over and over again without it being obvious. So I tend to stick with black and white plain t-shirts and singlets as my staples, and I experiment with various shapes and fabrics if I want to go for something a bit different.  
  • Hats. I've developed a bit of an obsession with hats in the past couple of months. I like classic shapes like the boater, because I think they age a bit better. Hats are great for adding a bit of personality to an otherwise ho-hum outfit. I'd like to build up my collection of hats, but I'm quite picky about them. They've got to be in neutral colours, comfy, and I hate to say it, but, cheap.
  • Black trousers. I've been on the lookout for the perfect pair of high-waisted, wide-legged trousers for literally years now, and I'm extremely excited to say that I've finally found them. They are the most flattering thing in my wardrobe, and they look great dressed-up or -down. I wore them today, as you can see below, with a vintage shirt and flats, but they'll look just as good dressed-up with a white blouse, heels, and red lipstick.
  • Black wedges. I'm crazy about high-heels, and I can't wait until I've finished uni and can move out of Brisbane and somewhere that you don't get weird looks if you're wearing crazy high shoes. But I still have a bit of practice to go when it comes to effortlessly gliding around in a pair of six-inch stilettos, so for now my compromise is wedges. They're still ridiculously tall, but they're much more secure, and much more comfortable. Not to mention that you can add them to literally any outfit, and it immediately looks ten-times more dressed-up.
  • Black leather bag (you can see it below). Until I can afford my Alexa, this is my trusty everyday handbag. I like  making my own bags and swapping around my handbag, but I always come back to this one, because it's so reliable. I much prefer long straps like these, to shoulder or hand-held bags, because they don't get in the way. The bag was my mum's, but I stole it when she stopped using it, and she's never getting it back, never. 
  • Jeans. I'm not the biggest fan on denim jeans because I find them a bit boring, but they're definitely something that every female needs. A pair of straight-leg denim jeans will get you through pretty much any situation, and even if you don't wear them all that often, like me, I still think that's reason enough to have a pair in your wardrobe. I prefer my black skinny Sass and Bides though, and find they're a bit more versatile and not so predictable for day-to-day wear.
  • Day dresses. I live in my vintage printed day-dresses. They look just as good in summer with sandals and a sunhat, as they do in winter with boots, tights and coat. When I just cannot be bothered, these are what I reach for.
So there you have it. The things I could not live without. A trench coat, a Breton shirt, a pair of boots, black opaque tights, a 'going out' dress, a blazer, a pencil skirt and splurge jewelry all find a home in my closet as well. What about you? Anything you couldn't live without?

Here's today's outfit.



top - vintage
trousers - from a boutique in the city
flats - myer 
bag - vintage

I look a bit moody and tired in the first picture, then overly excited in the second, for some reason. Sorry. I was planning on waiting to wear these pants, but I was so excited about finally owning them that I had to wear them today. Even if it was only to go to Bunnings. Where, by the way, I've got a group interview for a job at on Wednesday...wish me luck!

I best get back to my study now, I hope you're all having a lovely week, and a big thank-you and welcome to my new followers, you're amazing.

xx