PLACE: NEW YORK, NEW YORK








I don't buy INDIE magazine terribly often because it can be a bit expensive and tricky to find in Brisbane, but when I saw this issue - the 'New York City' issue with Marky Ramone on the cover - I couldn't say no. It was a good decision, this is one of those issues that I know I'm going to read over and over again.

I loved the theme. New York is such an iconic place. In literature and films, most settings are simply places, but New York often becomes a character herself, so big and bold is she.

It is no secret that I love travel. I love to talk about far away places and examine photos and books about the treasures that foreign cities and countries have to offer. I love New York, because every time I talk to someone about their ideas and experiences about the city, you get a totally fresh perspective. It's different for everyone. I love hearing about what people did or saw or ate or thought while they were in New York, or if they haven't been, I love to hear about what they think it's like based on the books, movies, television shows and songs they know.

Just Kids by Patti Smith is possibly my favourite 'New-York-based' book, but there are dozens more that I adore: Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote, The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. New York is such an integral part of all of these books, and they definitely influenced my perception of the city prior to visiting it (except for Wharton and Salinger, I only read them recently).

Breakfast at Tiffany's, again, and Annie Hall are my ultimate New York movies, and I'm (not) ashamed to admit that Gossip Girl was basically my guiding light in where to go and what to see when I visited.

What about you? What are your 'experiences' with New York City?

x